disparity to parity: balancing the scales
WEBINAR: strategizing to achieve racial justice, curb corporate capture, diversify farming, and steward land & water by updating supply management & fair prices.
The divisions between rich and poor, rural and urban, Black and White, landed and landless, Main Street and Wall Street look as wide today in the U.S. as they have ever been. To understand the depths, causes and remedies of this situation, a diverse group of farmers, activists and scholars began exploring the notion of parity and supply management together nearly two years ago. That journey has led to an array of essays, videos and conversations on parity, and how the lives of everyone involved in the food system would be changed with true parity and social peace.
The National Family Farm Coalition, Federation of Southern Cooperatives, and American University Center for Environment, Community and Equity are co-hosting a free webinar on Friday, April 23, introducing the Disparity to Parity Project, from 1:00pm to 2:30pm Eastern Time. You may register here.
This roundtable conversation is the first in a series to dig more deeply into the history and intersectionality of disparity in our food system, and the policy opportunities that can move us toward parity.
- Cornelius Blanding - Executive Director of the Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund
- Liz Henderson - New York Farmer, Northeast Organic Farmers Association
- Sarah Lloyd - Wisconsin Dairy Farmer, Dairy Together
- Jose Oliva - Campaigns Director, HEAL (Health, Environment, Agriculture, Labor) Food Alliance
- George Naylor - Iowa Farmer, Past President of National Family Farm Coalition; clarityonparity.com
For some excellent insights into the discussion beforehand read this article featuring several of the webinar speakers: https://civileats.com/2021/04/14/could-fair-prices-supply-management-change-the-game-for-bipoc-farmers/.
This webinar is free, but click here to reserve your place today. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with details for joining the meeting.
We look forward to seeing you.