request for proposals: black farmers united (NY)
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Black Farmers United - NYS POLICY-ADVOCACY STRATEGY CONSULTANT
Black Farmers United - New York State (BFU-NYS) is a group of more than 20 Black farmers, educators, food justice activists and black-led community-based organizations from across New York State advocating for equity and opportunity. We began organizing in April 2019, in response to the latest Census of Agriculture data illustrating these glaring racial disparities:
- Only 0.24% of farmers in New York State are black, 139 black farmers out of 57,000.
- White farmers have more than 500 times the land of black farmers.
- Black farms receive 60% fewer government subsidies and support.
- Black farmers make $1 for every $5 a white farmer makes in New York State.
- Black farmers make less than any other group, netting -$903 annually while the average farmer’s net income is $42,875.
Together, our group of Black farmers and activists developed and shared these 9 Solutions for Racial Inequity in New York Agriculture with New York State Commissioner of Agriculture Richard Ball and his staff. The current COVID-19 pandemic has only widened these disparities, and the heightened awareness of state violence on Black lives has brought attention to long-standing inequities in health, employment, and food. The time for New York State to institute systemic change in support of Black Farmers is now.
Overview of this RFP BFU-NYS is seeking a consultant who can work with its membership to develop strategy around the 9 solutions, support organizing around advocacy opportunities to pass policy in support of the solutions, and facilitate policy-advocacy training for the membership to facilitate continued success.
Desired outcomes from retaining this consultant are:
- Members engaged in development of campaign strategy to pass policy in support of 9 solutions.
- Creation of and agreement around a campaign strategy document that can be used to engage membership in advocacy efforts.
- Membership engaged in advocating legislators to pass policies that move forward 9 solutions.
- Members understand how they can participate in the process of drafting legislation, and what constitutes lobbying and legal considerations for non-profit staff.
ExperienceMinimum of at least five-years of policy, advocacy, and organizing leadership (preferably in New York State). Specific experience with food and farm policy is a plus.
Work Environment Remote work is required, New York-area residents preferred. Travel for lobby day(s) may be required (when possible- post COVID-19).
To ApplyTo apply, submit the following items to [email protected] with the subject line “Consultant RFP”:
- One-page cover letter
- Your resume/CV
- Proposal with deliverables you would facilitate in order to support Black Farmers United in fulfilling the desired outcomes listed in the “Overview of this RFP” (above)
- Compensation requested to carry out to the deliverables you propose
Proposals will be reviewed starting March 19, 2021 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
For further information, please visit our website at blackfarmersunited.org.
Black Farmers United NYS is fiscally sponsored by Farm School NYC. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Farm School NYC is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. People of color, differently-abled people, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.