work with slow food
Slow Food USA is hiring.
POSITION TITLE: SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
LOCATION: BROOKLYN, NY
REPORTS TO: PRESIDENT, SLOW FOOD USA
Slow food USA is current hiring for a Special Assistant to the President in our Brooklyn, NY based office. Instructions and details follow. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Slow Food USA is a non-profit organization working to create a just and sustainable food system. Slow Food USA has 210 chapters, with more than 70,000 members and supporters in the United States, and is part of a larger 130-country international network. The organization creates youth programs to bring the values of eating local, sustainable and just food to schools and campuses, revitalizes and renews disappearing foods and food traditions, and advocates for a national food policy in which all people can eat food that is good for them, good for the people who grow it and good for the planet. The Slow Food USA office is located in Brooklyn, NY. Slow Food USA is a part of the international Slow Food movement, which includes members in 130 countries.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Special Assistant to drive the internal and external activities of the President of Slow Food USA. Slow Food USA is in the midst of our Child Nutrition Act Campaign, having successfully produced a national day of action with 300 events in all 50 states on Labor Day, 2009. The president drives change within the organization and the movement using our networks, requiring deep engagement with all levels of the organization. The Special Assistant to the President will maintain and, where appropriate, design systems to support rapid change and agility in these exciting times. In this capacity the Special Assistant to the President will be a key member of the senior leadership team and will work closely with other director-level positions, the program staff, and the Board of Directors.
The Special Assistant will:
- Manage overall executive programs:
- Hire and manage 1 - 3 interns for the Office of the President
- Ensure effective communication from the staff and partners to the president
- Support communication to legislators and legislative offices around policy
- Prepare regular briefings on internal and external affairs, including all relevant current events
- Proactively manages the president’s time with an eye towards organizational objectives
- Ensures that the staff and board are adequately informed regarding the president’s activities and priorities
- Ensures that the staff is able to get what they need from the president
- Manages as much of the president’s workload as possible to maximize impact of his limited time
- Manage and support the president’s work life, communications and schedule:
- Receive, evaluate and make recommendations regarding all inquiries and requests for the president’s time
- Manage the president’s schedule including interviews, meetings, conference calls and business travel
- Prepare travel itineraries and logistics for work trips
- Communicate the president’s schedule and commitments to staff and board of directors
- Prepare correspondence for mail, email and phone inquiries
- Facilitate communication with the Slow Food USA Board, Slow Food International offices (in Italy), and as needed with other contacts, including program collaborators and funders
- Facilitate communication between the president and staff
- Manage budgets, receipts, and expenditures for the Office of the President
- As needed, create job description for and hire intern(s) to support you in your role
- Special Projects:
- Assist with any programmatic, development, communications, professional development or strategic planning work as needed.
Job Requirements and Skills
- Minimum 2 years supporting at the executive level
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the coordination of complex executive meetings
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage
- Experience working in food movement and/or social justice communities
- Strategic planner, capable of creating and implementing new strategies, identifying opportunities, and finding solutions independently in an environment without extensive systems and personnel support
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to master complex issues and convey information clearly
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship skills
- Experience scheduling travel arrangements for management
Title: Special Assistant to the President
Classification: Full-Time Exempt Employee
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports to: President of Slow Food USA
This is an opportunity to support and learn from Slow Food USA, and to be part of building a movement to catalyze and equip society to develop a good, clean and fair food system.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Slow Food USA strives to reflect the diverse community that works toward and cares about a healthy food system. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position must be filled by January 2010. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please submit a resumé and letter of interest to:
No phone calls please.