well. all you ambitious young men + women
who want to serve sustainable ag.... here's an opportunity.
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
NORTHEAST ORGANIC FARMING ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK
The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is the oldest and largest organization in New York devoted to organic and sustainable farming and gardening, and counts over 850 farms among its 1700 members of farmers, gardeners, and eaters.
We are seeking an Assistant Director to work with the Executive Director and other staff to lead the organization’s policy initiatives, communication, and grassroots member involvement.
The position requires a self-starter who has policy experience and the ability to translate policy into action. The person must be passionate and knowledgeable about organic farming and gardening and have staff management experience. The Assistant Director is based in Rochester, NY and reports to the Executive Director.
* In coordination with the Executive Director and policy committee, sets annual policy goals, develops strategies, and coordinates initiatives to meet these objectives.
* Provides high-quality written policy and outreach products, including formal correspondence, weekly press releases, position papers, articles, and fact sheets.
* Represents NOFA-NY at local, regional, and national policy meetings.
* Organizes an annual lobby day in Albany.
* Manages general communications and messaging for the organization, including general outreach materials and membership solicitations.
* Coordinates volunteers and trains speakers’ bureau to address statewide outreach.
* Increases and oversees overall communication of the organization to the general public.
* Speaks at public events, forums, legislative hearings, and other venues.
* In coordination with the Executive Director, hires and trains staff and ensures that individual performance goals are met.
* Writes grants to support communications & policy work.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer a full benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical insurance and a 403(b) retirement plan.
* Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
* Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of sustainable agriculture and policy organizing, including legislative strategies, and advocacy techniques.
* Experience: At least two years experience with legislative and administrative advocacy, coalition building, and a familiarity with agricultural policies and issues.
* Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory, strategic planning, and training skills; excellent media skills; strong computer skills required; familiarity with database programs helpful.
* Capabilities: High energy and enthusiasm. Ability to work well with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis.
* Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of NOFA-NY. Some statewide travel required.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and a short writing sample to [email protected]
NOFA-NY is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Northeast Organic Farming Assoc. of New York, Inc.