← Back to news feed
labor on labor day
Posted: September 2 2009
you could take this weekend off, or you could get your hands in the dirt. If you're in NYC, get on over to our friends at Rooftop Farms.
Dear friends and urban farmers,
What better way to celebrate Labor Day than to...labor? Come and farm with us up on the roof if you are around this weekend! Join us for transplanting, sifting, seeding, staking, and anything else. Bring something (or buy something) to picnic with (and compost afterwards).
Sunday, September 6th
We are located at 44 Eagle Street.
- 10am-4pm. Visit our Farm Stand. Your local brunch ingredients await you: eggplant, peppers, beans, greens, chard, tomatoes, and more. Please help us stay packaging-free by bringing your own bags.
- 9am-4pm. Volunteers welcome. Any skill level, any age. Bring friends, family (we've met a few in-laws!), sunscreen and your vegetable scraps for compost.
- 2pm Free Workshop. This week's topic is plant diseases. We have interesting ones, so we're going to tell you all about them! Listen, ask, learn, and troubleshoot.
In other news...
- Monday, September 7th, 12-3pm at Bridget, 20 Broadway (by Kent) in Williamsburg. The Child Nutrition Act is up for a re-signing, so there's a Potluck! and a Growing Chefs cooking demonstration of kid-friendly food in support of "Time For Lunch." (This event is the definition of the word "fun-cational!") Bring food, watch a film, learn to make better pesto.
- Bushwick Farmers' Market. Neighbors: Bushwick has a farmer's market! Eat well by supporting them on Wednesdays.
- Saturdays, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm, get your veggies at the BedStuy Farmers Market. It's on Malcolm X Blvd between Chaucey and Marion Sts.
Eat well, and we'll see you at the Farm,
Annie N. & Ben F.