good things in the hudson valley
THE WORLD'S LARGEST SOLAR EVENTFREE TOUR OF 20,000 SQ. FT. CARBON NEUTRAL BUILDING , Saturday, October 2nd, 2010
at SunDog Solar/Kling Magnetics Buildings , 343 Route 295, Chatham NY
THE NATIONAL SOLAR TOUR is the largest nonprofit solar event in the world. This 15th annual event, (coordinated by the nonprofit American Solar Energy Society (ASES) in collaboration with dozens of outstanding partner organizations), expects 160,000 visitors to tour 5,500 green buildings and homes in 3,200 communities across the United States. This program offers the general public the opportunity to see first-hand how solar and other sustainable technologies effectively reduce utility bills and help manage climate change. SunDog Solar is thrilled to be selected as part of this year's tour at the SunDog Solar/Kling Magnetics building, which takes place the first Saturday in of October for National Energy Awareness Month.
The main focus of the tour will be on renewable energy and energy-saving technologies. The SunDog Solar/Kling Magnetics building is an excellent example of how a former energy wasting building can be transformed via the use of solar photovoltaics (solar electric), solar hot water, insulation and alternative heating options to create a self sustaining, carbon neutral facility, the only building of its kind in Columbia County. Featured systems include:
- 80 kW of solar panels on site (roof and pole mounted, fixed and tracking).
- Battery backup system to provide power during power outage.
- State of the art Solar Hot Water demonstration project compares the energy output of various types of collectors and provides space heating.
- Spray foam insulation on the OUTSIDE of the building keeps the interior freeze protected in the coldest weather (YES, this building will not freeze!).
- Energy efficient motion detector lights save up to 40% off electric bills.
- Clear window inserts eliminate drafts.
- Vegetable oil boiler provides clean heat to the building.
Aimed to inspire people across the nation to make vital sustainable energy choices which help reduce cost and waste, create energy independence, protect against power outages and reduce carbon emissions, this tour is free and most educational. SunDog Solar representatives will be on hand to explain various energy options and answer any questions.
Location: SunDog Solar/Kling Magnetics Buildings
343 Route 295, Chatham NY
(Just outside the Village of Chatham)