gardener/teacher position - simsbury,CT
The Community Farm of Simsbury seeks a knowledgeable and innovative gardener to plan, organize, and maintain the teaching gardens on the farm.
• Monday through Friday (March 1 to October 31)
• 7:00 – 4:00 daily
• Attend scheduled incubator farmer trainings and summer camp/school programs that may fall outside the daily time schedule
• Grow transplants needed for the teaching gardens
• Take care of the teaching gardens
• Help manage Incubator Farmer Program
• Assist with summer camp/teaching programs
Candidates for this position will have hands-on experience with growing vegetables and fruits including garden planning and design, maintenance including plant nutrition and irrigation, protection from mammals, insect pests and diseases, weed control, pruning, and harvest.
Knowledge and experience in sustainable organic farming practices are preferred. Experience with composting is also desired.
Communication skills include the ability to keep accurate records, assist with the teaching programs/summer camps at the farm, and keep the farm director/staff informed of any issues that arise.
How to Apply
Interviews and hiring will be conducted on an on-going basis. Interested candidates are asked to submit the following as soon as possible: cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references.
Tim Goodwin, Executive Director / Community Farm of Simsbury, 73 Wolcott Road, Simsbury, CT 06070 or email, [email protected]