FRESH Farm Manager Job Description
Our mission is to encourage and empower broad participation in the hands on transformation of our food system from what it is to what it ought to be: healthy, just, sustainable, accessible, productive and beautiful!
Position Title: FRESH FARM MANAGER
Position Status: Year-Round, Full-time
Position Location: New London, CT
Supervisor: Executive Director
Job Overview: The FRESH Farm Manager position requires a strong practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management, a broad understanding of community food security and a passionate commitment to food justice and social change. The Farm Manager has primary responsibility for the planning, coordination and implementation of all work and activities at the FRESH Farm. (The FRESH Farm is currently two acres of intensive, organically-cultivated
land, a 1000 square foot greenhouse, an irrigation pond & harvest barn/outdoor classroom hosted by the Waterford Country School (WCS) Experiential Education and Farm Center.)
Keep reading for a more detailed job description.
Key Job Elements:
o Supervision and guidance of Farm Assistants or Interns, and FRESH Youth
o Coordination with WCS staff and students
o Supervision and coordination of volunteers at the FRESH Farm.
• Farm Management:
o Yearly field plans
o Seed ordering and Material Acquisition
o Greenhouse management and plant propagation
o Planning and implementation of weekly planting schedule for greenhouse
seeding, field seeding and transplanting.
o Insect and weed control, fertility monitoring, and general field
o Cultivation activities, hand and machine-powered
o Infrastructure planning, creation and maintenance
o Irrigation planning and implementation
o Soil-building program including composting
o Maintenance and monitoring of electric Deer fence
• Harvest, Marketing and Delivery:
o Plan weekly harvest schedule
o Coordination with FRESH Market staff for post-harvest handling, sales
and marketing and distribution
o Assist with Marketing and Outreach efforts of FRESH Farm and Products.
o Assist with Delivery of produce
• Integration of Farm with other FRESH Programs:
o Farm Material Procurement for Farm and other FRESH Programs
o Growing and transport of transplants from the FRESH Greenhouse to other
o Coordinate produce needs with Culinary, Market and Education Programs
o Participate in planning for long-term farm development
o Work with Executive Director to develop strategies and development of
Special Requirements: Work in field, greenhouse, outdoor classroom and office.
Hard and repetitive physical work. Evening and occasional weekend hours.
Current driver’s license and clean driving record. Comfortable driving
trucks and operating farm equipment.
• A minimum of 5 years of full-season agricultural experience
• A minimum of 2 years of full-season farm management
• A minimum of 2 years of management of year-long farm planning, as well
as weekly schedules
• Working knowledge of farm infrastructure
• Basic carpentry skills
• Irrigation and farm machinery/ small engine maintenance and repair
• Supervisory experience with farm workers
• Experience working with youth and interest in youth leadership and
• An ecological sense, knowledge of dynamic interplay between food
system, farming, natural world, society and individuals.
• Strong communication skills; ability to work with team and community
members respectfully and with patience.
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly, wake up early, and do
physical labor 40+ hrs/wk.
• Experience and interest in working with diverse populations - different
ages and various economic, social and political backgrounds.
• Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and
• Desire for long-term commitment.
Salary & Benefits: $30,000 - $35,000 (commensurate with experience)/yearly
salary. Full Benefits package, including medical and dental. Abundant fresh
Application Deadline: October 30th, 2010
Anticipated Start Date: January 3 – January 15, 2011
Please send cover letter and resume by email or fax to:
Emily Lerner, Director of Personnel