carolina farm stewards conference
The registration deadline for this year’s CFSA Sustainable Agriculture Conference is coming up soon. We have outstanding speakers this year, including advanced programs on sustainable livestock production from top experts in the field.
The conference runs from Friday Dec. 4 to Sunday Dec. 6 in Black Mountain, NCat Blue Ridge Assembly. Of interest to anyone with an interest in healthy animals and healthy farms are the following speakers:
- Internationally-known animal welfare expert Andrew Gunther will be coming from Texas to talk about pastured poultry--he formerly ran England’s largest organic chicken hatchery and is now program director for Animal Welfare Approved.
- Independent Small Animal Meat Processors Association (ISAMPA) members Casey McKissick and Smithson Mills will discuss small-scale poultry processing options.
- Professor David Stender from Iowa State is one of the nation's top experts on pastured hogs and will lead an intensive 3-hour session.
- Nationally-known veterinarian, Dr. Ann Wells, will provide an advanced 3-hour Friday session on holistic animal health management, from soil health to prevention strategies, as well as a beginner’s workshop Saturday morning.
Plus there are tours of WNC sustainable livestock farms with animals ranging from poultry to rabbits to hogs to sheep to cattle, including Hickory Nut Gap Farm and the Warren Wilson College Farm. This is an exciting opportunity for Carolina farmers to learn from some of the top livestock experts in the nation. Don’t miss out on this opportunity. Register today. Other highlights include:
- a children’s program
- great local and organic food
- Keynote Speaker Timothy LaSalle of the Rodale Institute
For more information about the conference, visit www.carolinafarmstewards.org, or to register, click here. To sign up for meals and/or lodging, go towww.blueridgeassembly.org/. Lodging at Blue Ridge Assembly is still available, but don't delay. We chose this location because it is a great place for networking and is affordable for everyone.