Battery Conservancy Volunteer Position: Urban Farm Intern
The Battery Conservancy is looking for people with farming experience to assist in running an Urban Farm in Manhattan.
The Urban Farm is located at the tip of Manhattan, the first urban farm created on this site since the Dutch planted theirs in 1625. This one acre farm has more than 100 plots and is engaging elementary, middle, and high school students, as well as many local community groups and individuals in a hands-on experience of organic farming. Several local restaurateurs who primarily feature farm-to-table menus are also planting in the farm. We are planting a range of vegetables and herbs as well as having a Three Sisters Garden and a pumpkin patch.
We are looking for individuals with significant farming experience to join The Conservancy's horticulturists and staff on this amazing project. We hope to find individuals who are comfortable working hard and taking initiative- this is a project with lots of room for growth if we have the right people to help us.
Continue reading about this exciting opportunity...
The Battery Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to revitalizing the 25 acres of public parkland located at the tip of Manhattan. The Battery is at the forefront of sustainable urban park planning, organic horticulture, and intermodal transportation. When the idea emerged to develop an urban farm in partnership with neighboring schools, The Battery Conservancy enthusiastically embraced the opportunity.
- Participate in all aspects of vegetable production: planning, planting, managing, harvesting,
weed control, irrigation, compost
- Help facilitate visits from local school children
- Contribute to the Urban Farm Blog
- Organize and oversee farm volunteers
- Answer questions and explain the project to the public
- Help in running the Farm Stand
- Farm/garden experience required, education and non-profit work a plus
- Able to handle physically strenuous, repetitious tasks and carry 40 pounds
- Manage work hours effectively with experience supervising others
- Strong communication and organizational skills
Please send a cover letter and resume to Camilla Hammer at [email protected]
The letter should include details of your availability as we are looking for full and part time commitments, from now into the fall, as well as details about your relevant experience This position is unpaid. Monthly MetroCard provided for farmers who work more than 20 hours per week, and everyone who helps out is welcome to a bounty of produce every week!