← Back to news feed
Posted: November 14 2010
Pie Ranch in Pescadero, CA is seeking a full-time Production Manager for its 27-acre ranch, of which seven acres are in use for production and teaching.
This dynamic farm offers educational opportunities for apprentices, interns, volunteers, and students from elementary through college. The current production focus is on an integrated mix of vegetables, fruits, some grains, flowers and animal husbandry. The Production Manager requires a strong practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management, a broad understanding of community food security and a deep commitment to food justice and social change. The Production Manager holds primary responsibility for the planning, coordination, and implementation of all work and farm activities at Pie Ranch. This position coordinates, supervises and mentors Pie Ranch apprentices and interns, as well as supports the learning and activities of volunteers and youth participants on the farm. The Production Manager will plan and coordinate all agricultural production activities from seed through harvest. The Production Manager will also guide and manage direct marketing efforts for our produce and eggs which include: a roadside farm stand, a Community Supported Eggriculture program, and wholesale efforts to cafes and local school districts. This is a full-time, year-round position. The Production Manager reports to the Farm Programs Director and works closely with other staff to facilitate hands-on learning through farming.
TO APPLY: We encourage women and people of color to apply. Please send a cover letter and resume detailing relevant experience to [email protected], and include Production Manager in the subject line. The position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline is December 3, 201
Continue reading for full job description!
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Supervision, Management, and Teaching:
· Establish priorities and work plans as the in-the-field manager for apprentices, interns and volunteers, maintaining daily flow of farm work, both in the field and during educational programs.
· Serve as the direct supervisor for apprentices and interns, providing feedback, evaluation, and support in their living and learning environment on the farm.
· Instruct apprentices & interns in all aspects of growing and harvesting vegetables, fruits, tree crops, and herbs organically, including but not limited to: field irrigation, bed preparation, planting, fertility, pest and pathogen management, and cultivation techniques
· Deliver instruction and in-field training in all aspects of direct marketing management, including production planning, administration, and outreach as well as harvest and post-harvest handling techniques for field and orchard crops.
· With support from the Farm Programs Director, develop and manage the annual farm operations budget, tracking and monitoring revenue and expenditures.
· Develop and carry out the annual crop plan and seed order
· Perform tractor work in fields and orchards, plan and manage cultivation activities
· Manage greenhouse and plant propagation, oversee and manage the planning and implementation of the weekly planting schedule for greenhouse seeding, field seeding, and transplanting
· Manage insect and weed control, soil fertility monitoring, and general field observation
· Manage Pie Ranch livestock, including: pastured hens, milk-goats, and dairy cows
· Develop, manage, and maintain farm infrastructure plan
· Maintain Pie Ranch’s Soil Fertility Management Plan and application process with CCOF
· Maintain thorough records of all farm activities
Harvest, Marketing, and Delivery
· Plan and manage weekly harvest schedule
· Manage post-harvest handling, sales, marketing and distribution for on-site farm stand, restaurants, and local school lunch programs
· Assist with marketing and outreach efforts of Pie Ranch produce and value-added products
· Coordinate and assist with delivery of produce
· Coordinate with Pie Ranch staff the produce needs for educational and public programs
· Manage Pie Ranch's Community Supported Eggriculture program (CSE) and dairy program, including recruiting and communicating with members, and directing logistics and egg & milk deliveries.
· A minimum of 5 years of full-season agricultural experience
· A minimum of 2 years of full-season farm management, including year-long farm planning and weekly schedules
· Working knowledge of farm infrastructure
· Supervisory experience with farm workers and volunteers
· Experience managing the distribution and sale of farm products through Community Supported Agriculture, farmers’ markets, or wholesale to restaurants
· Irrigation and farm machinery/ small engine maintenance and repair experience
· Experience with and interest in livestock management
· Basic carpentry and general building maintenance skills
· Experience working with youth and interest in youth development
· Experience and interest in working with diverse populations - different ages and various economic, social and political backgrounds.
· Possess qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and cooperation.
· Strong communication skills; ability to work with team and community members respectfully and with patience.
· Ability to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly, wake up early, and do physical labor 40+hrs/wk.
· Desire for long-term commitment and growth.
· BA from a four-year, degree-granting institution
· Work takes place in the field, greenhouse, and office settings
· Job requires hard and repetitive physical work
· Work can take place during weekends and evenings
· Possess a current valid driver’s license and clean driving record
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package