now hiring in Washington state
Viva Farms in Burlington, WA is hiring a farm manager!
Viva Farms provides start-up support to new farmers in Skagit County. Viva Farms is a project of GrowFood and is operated in partnership with WSU Extension. See www.VivaFarms.org <http://www.vivafarms.org/> for more information on the project and www.GrowFood.org for more info on the parent organization.
*OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES**: *The candidate will work closely with new
farmers in Burlington, WA to manage Viva’s 33 acre incubator farm and
Viva-owned equipment; collaborate with affiliated farms, facilitate crop
production (emphasizing organic techniques); organize technical assistance
around business management, marketing, agricultural enterprise, and other
topics; and link growers with other community resources, project staff and
activities. The Farm Manager will also assist Viva Farms staff with
marketing, sales and distribution.
*1. **Manage the Incubator Farm and Equipment: ***
· In coordination with landowners, staff and farmers, oversee
management of Viva Farms site(s) and equipment in the Burlington/Mount
· Work with farmers to coordinate onsite farm services, including land
preparation and the use/management of greenhouse, irrigation, tillage
equipment, cooling / storage, and other farm supplies and equipment. Expand
farmers’ participation in effective site management;
· Assist farmers and program with proper maintenance of equipment and
facilities, including tractors, other tillage equipment, and irrigation;
· Assist farmers to understand roles and expectations for farmsites;
facilitate ongoing compliance with guidelines such as access, cleanliness,
use of equipment and facilities;
· Serve as a liaison among all parties and effectively communicate
relevant information and concerns to landowners, staff, and farmers.
* 2. Provide Technical Assistance to Project Participants**:*
· Assist production activities at farms used by project participants;
· Provide pest management education to farmers in collaboration with
other staff and partners; monitor pest management activities and assure
compliance with specific guidelines for each site;
· Assist with implementation of seasonal training program activities;
· Provide technical assistance to farmers on production and post
harvest handling of crops;
· Assist farmers to keep production records, complete acreage reports,
and determine crop yields;
· Help to coordinate farmer meetings, and encourage farmer
participation in seasonal workshops, conferences, and farm visits/field
· Link farmers to agricultural experts and to other farming resources
in the area.
· Facilitate the Cultivating Success classes
*3. **Assist with Marketing, Sales & Distribution**:*
· Evaluate the marketing potential of specific crops; assess growers'
interests and needs regarding market-oriented production; help them plan and
implement market-based approaches to crop production;
· Research and assess innovative direct marketing opportunities in
Skagit Co and the region; evaluate a wide range of local outlets for
agricultural products; and develop comprehensive multi-faceted marketing
strategies at retail and wholesale levels;
· Develop new direct marketing linkages for growers, such as farmers'
markets, as outlets for project growers; approach new markets and conduct
outreach for Viva growers.
· Develop markets for project growers in restaurants, hotels, etc. in
Skagit, Seattle, Everett and other locations;**
· Track sales, placements, volumes, and other data;
· Provide timely reports and other required information as requested;
· Participate at regular project meetings and other scheduled
· Assist with CSA pack and delivery
· Assist Farm Stand customers
· Agricultural education and/or farm management experience related to
meeting requirements of the position;
· Bachelor’s degree preferred;
· Community organizing and cross-cultural experience helpful; prepared
to build relationships with immigrant participants and with organizational
· Spanish proficiency preferred;
· Self-motivated, and self-directed; works well within in a
· Appropriate computer skills, and effective communications and writing
· Access to reliable private transportation necessary;
· Flexible schedule needed, including weekends and some evenings
Position based in Burlington at the Viva Farms Incubator and Skagit Co.
Extension office. Travel primarily between Burlington/Mt. Vernon and Seattle
markets, and north to affiliate farms in Whatcom County. Must have reliable
*Compensation**:** *Full time, year-round position. Salary commensurate
*Beginning Date**:** *Immediate
*To apply*:* * Email a cover letter and resume to: Sarita Schaffer,
[email protected] .
Co-Founder and Director, www.GrowFood.org
Director, Viva Farms (www.VivaFarms.org)
Regional Coordinator, WSU Latino Farming Program
"There is an inescapable kinship between farming and art, for farming
depends as much on character, devotion, imagination, and the sense of
structure, as on knowledge. It is a practical art." - W. Berry