farm manager position
Meriwether’s Skyline Farm Manager Position, Portland, OR
About the Farm:
Meriwether’s Skyline Farm is owned by Meriwether’s Restaurant in Portland, OR, and provides the majority of its produce. The farm is located at ~850 feet elevation on the 20-acre home site of the restaurant owners, located in the West hills near Cornelius Pass. Produce is delivered twice a week, year round to the restaurant in NW Portland, 11 miles from the farm. The farm uses just under 2 acres within a 4 –acre fenced area to grow a very wide diversity of vegetables, grains, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The farm started in 2008 and grows using organic principles and methods. For the past five years the farm has run with a part time crew of 2-4 depending on the season.
- Manage the farm crew with occasional additional temporary labor to carry out all farm tasks including but not limited to: seeding and propagation, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, irrigation, washing, packing, delivering produce, equipment and infrastructure maintenance, rodent trapping, etc.
- Carry out tractor work with Assistant Farm Manager including primary and secondary tillage, final bed preparation, mowing, etc.
- Manage soil health by analyzing soil tests and creating and implementing an annual soil amendment plan
- Manage on-farm composting system
- Maintain clear communication with executive chef(s) at the restaurant by communicating a current list of available varieties and quantities, tracking the restaurant’s produce order and invoicing, meeting with chef(s) in the fall to plan the farm produce order for the following year, and generally checking in to see how the farm-restaurant relationship can be improved.
- Repair and maintain farm tools, vehicles, and infrastructure
- Maintain clear communication with restaurant owners, including infrastructure and equipment needs and repairs, organization of tools and supplies in and around the barn, scheduling of on-farm events, coordination of farm activities with landscaping crew, farm budget, etc.
- Oversee quality of produce from field to packing to delivery
- Manage the human resources of the farm including hiring for farm crew positions and temporary extra labor
- Maintain farm records including expenses and income, dates of seeding, transplanting, harvest, tillage, etc., soil test results, harvest quantities, etc.
- Track the farm’s inventory of materials and procure needed supplies and tools
- Speak publicly about the farm at occasional restaurant-sponsored events
- Previous farm management experience
- Enthusiasm for growing high quality, delicious, local food
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Ability to maintain calm when the workload becomes hectic
- Good understanding of how to use and create detailed and complex spreadsheets
- Experience with machinery/vehicle maintenance, basic carpentry, and basic plumbing
- Experience with greenhouse and hoop house management
- Thorough knowledge of growing produce organically in the Pacific Northwest
- Experience with perennial fruit, cut flowers, and salad greens
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Confidence in ability to research and implement new techniques and methods
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is the typical work schedule but may be flexible
- Hours are typically April – October: 7am-5pm (longer when necessary to get the job done), November – March: 8 or 9am - 4 or 5pm
- Hourly wage dependent on experience and ability to make farm profitable
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line: Skyline Farm Manager Application. Include answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to be the farm manager at Skyline Farm?
- What experience do you have managing farm crews?
- What experience do you have in planning and record keeping on farms?
- What is your experience level with tractors, basic farm implements, repairs and maintenance?
This position is open until filled.