Essex Mixer Schedule & Travel Info
In case you haven't heard, Greenhorns are hosting a Grange hall mixer at the historic Whallonsburg, NY Grange Hall on the shores of Lake Champlain on Saturday, June 25th beginning at 10am and into the night.
More than 150 aspiring, young, beginning and veteran farmers from the Hudson Valley, Champlain Valley, Capital Region, Adirondacks, and even some Vermonters are expected to attend this inaugural event, coming by carpool, train, bicycle and ferry. Check out the schedule below, email us for press release, questions. [email protected]
Keep reading for full schedule!
10 am - Meet at Grange for tours of Essex Farm and Full & By Farm.
12 pm – Q&A with Congressman Bill Owens, Tabling by local organizations, cooking in the kitchen and tending the grilling pig on the spit, decorations and quiet crafting in the shade for kids.
12:30 - Lunch at the Grange, local bread freshly toasted, big soups and salads.
1:30 to 5:00 - Workshops
5 pm - Rejoin at the Grange. Gathering, welcome narrative, thanking guests and contributors, introducing young farmers in the room with short little bio, time for short mingle. Film Screening.
6 pm - Dinner. Buffet style community supper, long tables and outside along the river or lawn.
6:30 - Puppet Show. Family friendly puppet show by MOdern times theatre, about agrarian living.
8 pm - Band "WE are Jeneric" on the mainstage.
9 pm to 11pm - Sitting by the fire, drinking ginger beer, elderflower cordial, eating pork cracklings.
1:30-2:30 – Pedal Power, 2nd Act Farmers, Oxen Demo at DaCy Farm
2:30-3:30 – Compost 2.0, Felting & Dying
3:30-5:00 – Nutrient Dense Foods & Farming Methods
1. Pedal Power Demonstration w/ Andy Wekin - of Pedal Power Engineering. Demonstrations & other alternative energy projects on the farm. Grinding, churning, threshing in the workshop down the slope from the grange. Talking about micro-turbines, pedal power, alternative wattages and amperages.
Meet at sign for WORKSHOP 1.
Time & Location: (1:30 - 2:30) at Pedal Power Shop downhill of Grange
2. "Second Act Farmers" w/ Shaun and Linda Gillilland – "Boomer Farm Rebounders or How I stopped keeping up with the neighbors and learned to love the farm". Farming as a second career, a discussion by some local champions.
Meet at sign for workshop 2.
Time & Location: (1:30 - 2:30) at the Grange Hall
3. Oxen demonstration w/ David Johnston - of DaCy Meadow Farm.
Meet at sign for WORKSHOP 3.
Time & Location: (1:30 - 2:30) Just 1 mile East off I-87 Exit 31 on Rt. 9N in Westport. 7103 NYS Rt. 9N, Westport, NY 12993
4. Compost 2.0 w/ Steven Wisbaum - of Champlain Valley Compost. Techniques and information for home & farm based application and compost methods.
Meet at sign for WORKSHOP 4
Time & Location: (2:30-3:30) at the Grange Hall
5. Felting & Dying w/ Robin Gucker - of Lakeside Preschool. Learn felting methods with wool. Kid-friendly craft activity in the shade of the trees by the Bouquet River.
Time & Location: (2:30 - 3:30) outside Grange Hall
6. “Nutrient dense foods & Farming Methods" w/ Doug Flack – of Flack Family Farms. From soil to human health. Nutrient density is often mis-understood, but even according to the World Health Organization, conventionally grown produce is up to 40% less nutritious than it was in the 1950's.
Time & Location: (3:30 - 5:00) at Grange Hall
Whallonsburg Grange Hall, Whallonsburg/Essex, NY:
The Grange Hall is located at the corner of Route 22 and Whallons Bay Road in Whallonsburg, New York (no exact address)
Ferry Information: http://www.ferries.com/south_schedule.asp#summer