veggielution school garden coordinator
position available with a super cool project! act quickly, applications were actually due yesterday. there are internships available as well.
Veggielution School Garden Coordinator
About Veggielution: We operate a 1 acre farm at Emma Prusch Farm Park in East San Jose, empowering youth and adults from diverse backgrounds to create a sustainable food system in San Jose. The neighborhoods surrounding the farm are largely working class, and saturated with much more fast food than healthy food. Our farm engages the community by providing access to healthy and local food, creating youth leadership opportunities, and developing creative solutions to social and environmental justice issues. The food we grow is donated to soup kitchens, taken home by volunteers, and sold at our low-cost Farmstand. We have weekly volunteer workdays on the farm, a youth program for high school students, and free cooking and gardening classes for the community. Staff can expect to be fully integrated into the Veggielution team, where we emphasize open communication, innovation, and taking personal responsibility for your own success.
About the position: This winter we are helping two local schools start school gardens. These gardens will engage the students at the schools, as well as parents and the community. We are envisioning a hybrid school/community garden, which provides a learning environment for the students of the school, engages parents and community members, and serves as a source of healthy food. These gardens will also serve as a leverage point to try to bring more healthy food into school lunches. The School Garden Coordinator will add their own vision and passion into this project and bring it from idea to reality. Much of your time will be spent organizing and supporting “School Garden Teams” composed of parents and teachers at each school to support the gardens in the long term.
Duties will include:
* Organize a ‘School Garden Team’ composed of parents and teachers at each school to keep the garden going long term
* Help establish an ongoing structure to support these School Garden Teams
* Lead a garden planning process with the students at the schools to inform the garden design
* Work with teachers and principal to integrate the garden into the school’s curriculum
* Support teachers in teaching lessons in the garden
* Manage food distribution from the garden
* Coordinate garden maintenance and facilitate parent and community involvement
* Collect data on volunteer hours and produce harvested
* Attend Veggielution staff meetings and other relevant meetings
The ideal candidate for this position has:
* Experience with garden education
* At least 3 years of gardening experience
* Ability to teach basic sustainable agriculture concepts
* Experience working with a diverse low-income community, cultural competency
* Strong community organizing skills and experience
* Knowledge of current issues around food, health, and sustainable agriculture
* Articulate oral and written communication skills
* Comfort with talking to groups of people
* Enthusiasm and passion for Veggielution’s mission
* Fluency in Spanish (required)
**People of color strongly encouraged to apply**
16-20 hrs per week variable
Starts late January
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by January 10th. Position open until filled.