umaine sustainable ag field day
tomorrow! There will abstracts available online after the event.
2011 UMaine Sustainable Agriculture Field Day
Featuring Small Scale Vegetable Production
Wednesday, June 29 – 5:00 to 7:30 pm
University of Maine Rogers Research Farm, Stillwater, Maine (directions below)
FREE – no pre-registration required; 1 Pesticide credit and 2.5 Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) credits offered
4:45‐5:00 pm Registration
5:00‐7:30 pm Field Day Tour:
- Welcome ‐ Ellen Mallory, UMaine Extension Sustainable Agriculture Specialist
- Season extension ‐ Mark Hutton, UMaine Extension Vegetable Specialist
- Hand tools for weed control in vegetables – Ben Costanzi and Eric Gallandt, UMaine Graduate Student and UMaine Weed Ecologist
- Evaluating sustainable practices to improve potato skin surface quality – John Jemison, UMaine Extension Water Quality & Soil Specialist
- Practical integrated pest management (IPM) for vegetables & sweet corn – Jim Dill, UMaine Extension IPM Specialist and David Handley, UMaine Extension Vegetable and Small Fruit Specialist
- Evaluation of bagged organic fertilizers for vegetables – Ryan Fahey, Graduate Student
- Master gardener volunteers: Making a difference – Kate Garland, UMaine Extension Horticulture Professional, Penobscot County
* 4:00‐4:45 pm – Come early to evaluate a variety of hand‐ and wheel‐hoes. Ben Costanzi, UMaine Graduate Student, and Weed Ecologist Eric Gallandt will have their collection of innovative hand tools sharpened and available for hands‐on field testing.
Directions: The Rogers Forage and Crops Research Farm is located on Rt. 16, 1.5 miles north of Stillwater, ME. Take exit 193 off I‐95 and head east toward Old Town on Stillwater Avenue. At the third set of lights, turn left onto Bennoch Rd. (Rt. 16, north). The Rogers Farm is 1.5 miles down Bennoch Rd.
For more information, contact Ellen Mallory, (207) 581‐2942 If you are a person with a disability and will need any accommodations to participate in this program, please contact us at least 7 days prior to this event to assure fullest possible attention to your needs.