seeking a web + design maven
Greenhorns are hiring! Please share this with anyone who has web programming and graphic design skills.
WEB + DESIGN MAVEN, 20 hrs/week to start one month trial, $20-25/hr depending on experience.
The Greenhorns is a nonprofit organization based in the Hudson Valley that works to recruit, promote and support America's young farmers. We are a group of young farmer cohorts and we have an immediate need to integrate and be obliged to a hardworking, accomplished graphic designer with sound web programming skills.
This is an intensive part-time position requiring quick turnaround and multitasking. If you grow food or make jam, definitely keep reading as your farming/gardening skills, activism, and self reliance are credentials we value. Our design maven must understand our punk-agrarian style and be able to create convincing and breathtaking bits of visual rhetoric using diverse sources coming from diverse minds and historical reference points. Projects will include full web site architecture, design, and programming, email transmissions to our network, posters and marketing/PR announcements, itty bitty flyers and ephemera, gentle reminders, booklets, political broadsides, presentations to funders and sponsors, scheduling and planning templates, stickers, buttons, and other newfangled ideas. Many of these projects will be integral to our documentary film campaign and thus require cohesive execution and a sense for the grand, grassroots story we are telling. We need you to help us build a flexible, purposeful brand for the young farmers of this movement. Our group is spread throughout the country, and so you need not be local (NY region) but must have instant and easy access to all the techno ways we might connect with you from our various locations (computer & phone 24/7).
*Please send your resume and samples to Stephanie Shih, Project Manager at [email protected]
- accomplished design background with samples/portfolio to share
- ability to integrate disparate ideas into seamless visual communication from a group of creative logisticians, farmers, and various other stakeholders
- self-motivated and extremely strong work ethic; ability to work autonomously while still taking direction well
- good handle on the backend world of the web; FTP/data carousel/site hosting familiarity
- programming and design skills to build and maintain our information-dense website from top to bottom, including HTML coding
- Adobe Creative Suites: InDesign, Photoshop and/or Illustrator savvy
- Microsoft Office, especially Powerpoint and Excel
- Ability to use email marketing software (Vertical Response) and online survey builders a +Plus
- Familiarity with complex wordpress-powered sites a big +plus
- Ruby on Rails literacy a HUGE plus
- a limber, creative mind and a flexible, collaborative approach to your work
- Ability to operate a printing press (which we have) a big plus too.
- belief that our agrarian mission matters, and that the beautiful expression of it is critical to our movement