neighborhood farm manager position
SOLEfood is a non-profit, social enterprise that provides urban agriculture employment and training opportunities for Vancouver’s inner-city residents. Working alongside farmer/author Michael Ableman, (www.fieldsofplenty.com, www.foxglovefarmbc.ca) community residents are trained and employed to install and manage small production farms on leased urban lots. SOLEfood is currently expanding to include a network of farms throughout the city that will help revitalize neighbourhoods, provide meaningful employment to individuals with multiple challenges, supply fresh food to inner city residents, and present a successful self-supporting model of high quality innovative agriculture within the city.
The Neighbourhood Farm Manager will work under the direction of the SOLEfood Farm Director supervising the day-to day management of multiple farm site operations.
· Farm staff, intern, and volunteer management.
· Direction of farm operations; propagation, soil preparation, cultivation, irrigation, direct seeding/transplanting, harvest, etc.
· Maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
· Support in CSA and farmers markets.
- Maintenance of all farm equipment and facilities
- Maintenance of accurate records of all farm activities.
Skills and Requirements
· Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, some with barriers to traditional employment.
· Understanding of addiction issues and mental illness.
· Minimum 3 years full-time market farming experience.
· Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills.
· Good organizational skills.
· Sense of humor and patience.
Position begins April 1, 2011, for an 8-month period. Salary dependant on experience.
Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected]