hop, skip, and a jump - ny
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Madison County is hiring a Community Educator - NYS Hop Specialist.
The CCE Educator will work with growers throughout New York State to re-establish commercial specialty hop production.
The CCE educator will:
• Provide growers with the knowledge and resources to produce high quality hop crops;
• Produce and publish a hop grower’s How-To-Manual on growing, processing and marketing hops in NYS;
• Plan, market, promote, and lead Hops courses for interested growers;
• Be available full time during the growing season to field hop related phone calls and make personal visits to farms that request it;
• Establish local resources throughout the state that have the ability to test and analyze the alpha and beta chemicals in the hop cones;
• Educate growers on methods of integrated pest management related to hop horticulture.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, or related field; At least 3 years experience working with farmers doing field work, extension education and/or outreach; Interest in/familiarity with hops and/or brewing; effective written and verbal communication skills; organizational and time-management skills
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with, or knowledge of hops and emerging craft brewing industry; coursework in soils, plant physiology, entomology, agricultural economics, education and communication.
The position is part time. There is funding available for two years through a NYS Specialty Crops Grant. The position includes a full New York State benefits package – health/dental insurance, retirement, and vacation. The position is based at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Madison County in Morrisville, NY and requires some night and weekend work.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: [email protected]
Applications will be accepted until noon on 2/5/2010