farming opportunity - michigan
Organic Farm Caretaker / Grower
Starting December 2011
Connemara Farm in northeast lower Michigan is currently seeking an individual or couple to care take and/or manage a variety of sustainable agricultural endeavors on their farm, including: organic vegetables and poultry, orchard crops, and permaculture gardens. Should the applicant decide to farm, they should be able to oversee all aspects of organic farming production such as: soils management, equipment management, pest and disease management, post-harvest handling, and marketing. The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of organic techniques and at least three years of experience in organic farming. We will support the grower with planning, inputs, marketing advice, equipment up-keep, and financial planning.
Compensation includes a monthly stipend (negotiable), on-farm housing with paid utilities and the opportunity for profit from organic agricultural production. Owners will pay for all expenses related to care taking of the property and pets.
Connemara is an 80 acre family farm with one acre currently in vegetable production and 20 acres of additional crop/pasture land, with the remaining acreage in woods. It is located in Presque Isle County of northeast Lower Michigan. The farm includes a new L-shaped 64x32 and 32x32 gambrel style barn, out buildings, hoop house, some irrigation, farming equipment, and rich soil.
Housing is a large four bedroom farmhouse, two bathrooms and one office, with geothermal air and heat. The owners will be back on occasion, no more than a total of one month/year. The owners are also operating a local food soup/sandwich shop in nearby Roger’s City with possible work opportunities at this restaurant for the applicant(s).
As Connemara Farm transitions to a fully certified organic farm, the focus is to raise vegetables, fruits, crops, livestock, and eggs in such a way as to enhance the long term productivity of the soil; the economic productivity of the land; the health of the surrounding ecosystem; the healthful benefits of our crops; the professional development of our employees; and the taste of the food produced. We seek a manager who shares this vision.
This position is primarily responsible for care taking of the pets and property. If the applicant(s) decide to farm, they will also be responsible for the management, planning and control of the farming operations from land prep through quality harvest and marketing.
Start date: As soon as possible, no later than December 1, 2011. Duration is for one year with the possibility of continuing for up to three years.
· Mowing of the lawns and pasture
· Weeding of flower beds and house vegetable garden.
· Pet care for 4 large dogs and 1 farm cat.
If the applicant(s) decide to farm, additional responsibilities would include:
· Assist in generating organic production plan with budget.
· Follow and document farm organic production plan.
· Crop harvesting and weed management.
· Prepare harvest for sale at farmers market and other marketing outlets.
· Comply with all safety requirements.
· Maintain farm data and production records
· Train and supervise seasonal help, if needed.
If applicant(s) decide to farm, requirements include:
· B.S. in Agriculture, Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture, or related field experience.
· Minimum of 3 years vegetable farming experience.
· Mechanical knowledge and agricultural tools expertise.
· Ability to prepare monthly written reports (Work and Excel).
· Ability to manage assets such as equipment, seasonal labor.
· Ability to budget, manage, schedule.
· Results oriented manager.
· Ability to plan ahead and to look at the whole picture.
How to apply: Send your resume(s) and a letter of interest to Dave & Michelle Glenn at [email protected]