dairy intern at the larson farm
The Larson Farm
We milk 20 jerseys in a tie-stall barn. We practice rotational, intensive grazing during the pasture season and strive to decrease grain consumption with grass-based genetics and high-quality forage. One of our major focuses is on holistic herd health management using homeopathy and immune-boosters. We sell raw milk from the in-house farm store, and deliver to a local cheesemaker.
We also raise 100% grass-fed Devon/Angus cross beef herd, free-range chickens for eggs, draft and boarding horses
The Dairy Intern Position:
Minimum 6 month commitment, but will give preference to those available for 1 full year, starting in May 2011
The intern will work closely with the herdsperson to learn all aspects of the dairy: milking, moving and repairing fences for rotation, caring for calves and heifers, stocking the sales fridge with milk, spreading and loading manure with the tractor (in all kinds of weather!), and administering remedies. The intern will then be expected to perform many of these tasks independently, with our support!
Must be willing to work:
- mostly with the dairy herd, but willing to help with other tasks pertaining to livestock and home-scale vegetable garden
- independently as well as with others
- with attention for safety around machinery; with a calm, positive attitude
- 6 days/week, with 1 weekend off per month
Knowledge and skills gained in daily routine of the farm. Additionally, intern will be invited to attend workshops at other farms and farm-related conferences, costs covered by the farm.
No experience necessary; we prioritize finding a motivated, enthusiastic person, and will be happy to train the right person
Community housing, kitchen access, bulk food staples, farm products (milk, eggs, ground beef), weekday lunches
To apply: please send a resume to the herdsperson, Ashlee Kleinhammer, [email protected]
- call Ashlee at the farmhouse with questions: 802-645-1957
- the best way to get to know us is by visiting the farm! Please expect to visit at some point during the application process
Our website: www.larsonfarmvt.com