Ben Flanner, one of our friends from Rooftop Farms has a new project in the works... and a tasty opportunity to learn more this Monday.
Greetings Farm Supporters,
We're coming to Manhattan to throw a party on Monday in the West Village! Join Brooklyn Grange and a slew of restauranteurs, food enthusiasts, farmers, and friends for cocktails and dinner next Monday at bobo (www.bobonyc.com).
Sip, snack, and chat while you enjoy live bluegrass music from Free Advice, and a fun filled auction. And it's all in support of Brooklyn Grange, our one-acre rooftop farm slated to open this spring in Northern Brooklyn or Queens. We're making lots of progress!Time: Monday December 14, 7pm - 10pm
Location: bobo, 180 West 10th St. at 7th Ave
Come at the door, or reserve your tickets here: http://brooklyngrangefarm.com/events/.
Spread the word – get everyone involved!
Auction Items will include: Artisanal Brooklyn food gift baskets, cheese, dinners and happy hours at local restaurants, art, jewelry, and other fun things.
Thanks - Happy Holidays!
About Brooklyn Grange:
Brooklyn Grange is planning to build the country's first financially sustainable soil rooftop farm in New York City in the Spring of 2010. The Grange consists of an ambitious crew from Roberta's Restaurant in Bushwick, teaming with Ben Flanner, a founder and farmer of Rooftop Farms in Greenpoint. The farm will sell its vegetables to the community, localizing the economy, and bringing people closer to a sustainable food source.
Brooklyn Grange's principles will set an example at many levels:
- Making use of under-utilized urban rooftops to grow nutritious organic produce to be consumed in New York City
- Reducing carbon emissions on food transportation
- Creating environmentally friendly jobs
- Increasing availability of healthy produce in communities with limited access to nutritious organic produce
- Educating school groups, volunteers, and aspiring urban farmers on nutrition and farming
- Creating green roofs to reduce energy usage in heating and cooling, and to catch rainwater, reducing the strain on New York City's expensive sewage system.
All proceeds from the party at bobo will go towards the new rooftop farm, Brooklyn Grange.