assistant field manager, sunshine farm
The Sunshine Farm is a diverse 100-acre farm that includes tree fruit, vegetables, vineyards, cattle, chickens, a winery, and a vibrant farm market. We grow about 3 acres of organic vegetables in fields that benefit from great soil, marvelous sunshine, and sweeping views of Lake Chelan. In addition to selling produce at our own market, we run a CSA, sell at our local farmers market and to local restaurants and retailers.Job Description: The primary responsibility of the Assistant Field Manager (Veggies) is to assist the Farm Manager in vegetable production. The Farm Manager is also responsible for the tree fruit and vineyards, and so the Vegetable Assistant will be working independently for a large majority of the time. We have a small crew of laborers that perform the majority of “long row” jobs in the vegetables, such as weeding, but spend the majority of their time in the orchard and vineyard. The Vegetable Production Assistant will focus on “short row” jobs such as greenhouse management, direct seeding, transplanting, mechanical cultivation, irrigation management, pest control, harvesting, washing and packing, CSA distribution, selling at Farmers Markets, etc. This is the perfect job for a person who has one or two years of farm apprenticeships under their belt and is looking for the next step.
- At least one season previous vegetable farming experience
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a physically strenuous outdoor job
- Demonstrated ability to work independently at tasks that require a high level of detail
- Commitment to efficiency and quality in one’s work
- Energetic personality, positive attitude, and excellent work ethic
- Preference given to those interested in staying more than one season
Term of Employment, Compensation, and Benefits
- April through October (must commit to stay through October)
- Minimum 40 hours/week; 45-50 hours a week in peak season
- Work day starts at 6:00 am during hot months
- Rustic on-farm housing may be available.
- $9.00-$10.00/hour DOE
- Vegetables and fruit available during growing season.
- 30% off all merchandise at the Sunshine Farm Market and Tunnel Hill Winery
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position filled.
Please submit a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter to
[email protected] or
The Sunshine Farm
37 Highway 97A
Chelan, WA 98816
Questions may be directed to Rachel at the above email or 509-670-8958.