The Quivira Coalition, a Santa Fe based nonprofit that builds resilience by fostering ecological, economic and social health on Western working lands, is seeking an Education and Outreach Coordinator. The chosen candidate should understand the connections between land health, working watersheds, and good food. In addition, they should also have a genuine passion for helping others develop the knowledge and skills to contribute to vital food and agriculture systems and healthy watersheds and soil.
The coordinator should be a people oriented organizer who has worked with agricultural producers and/or in experiential education. They should possess strong communications, logistics, and event management skills. An ideal candidate would enjoy working with ranchers, land managers, farmers, and the public and is dedicated to about solving
current food production, agriculture, and land health challenges. This person should also live in or near Santa Fe, New Mexico (or be willing to relocate), have the flexibility to travel to farms and ranches, and have experience in large and small event management.
The coordinator will work closely with Quivira staff to support successful educational programming. This includes land health workshops, a variety of agrarian trainings and the annual Quivira Conference (conference coordination comprises approximately 50% of this position). Additionally, this person will work closely with director to build capacity in the Education and Outreach program and expand its scope. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Event planning, coordination, and logistics
● Manage event registration and necessary organizational data collection for workshops, seminars, and conferences.
● Coordinate with special events partners to ensure high quality experiences for attendees.
● Work with other Quivira program staff to organize space and materials necessary for workshop and seminar sessions.
● Confirm and coordinate speakers, instructors, and materials for educational programming to ensure high quality presentations, classes, and workshops.
Promotion, outreach, and communication
● Reach out to sponsors and oversee sponsorship deliverables.
● Develop, coordinate, and disseminate necessary print and digital media materials for programs, promotion, presentation, and event follow up. This includes promotional posters, social media ads, powerpoint presentations, videos of talks, press releases, etc.
● Develop and execute event promotion strategies to achieve budgetary and registration goals.
● Communicate regularly with registrants, sponsors, and speakers regarding event logistics and updates.
● Expand the reach and scope of the annual educational programming, including better utilization of conference resources for year round knowledge sharing
● Develop a yearlong speaker series in collaboration with Down to Earth podcast host culminating in the conference
● Raise awareness about Quivira’s on the ground work through speakers and media.
- Represent Quivira at various extramural functions, conferences, workshops, etc.
- Work with collaborative community partners to achieve common goals (e.g.LandLink, Farm to Table, National Young Farmers Coalition, Santa Fe Community College Center for Sustainable Technologies, University of New Mexico Sustainability Studies, Santa Fe Farmers Market Institute, and others).
- Collaborate with other staff members and engage with other Quivira program areas as needed.
- Participate in board and staff meetings, retreats, and strategic planning meetings.
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field with two years of experience or at least five years of direct experience in event management related to agriculture or natural resources
● Knowledge and experience with ranching, land and water restoration, and ecology
● Crew lead or supervisory experience
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
● Experience working in groups, networking, and engaging in public speaking
● Experience and and a strong skill set for facilitating large meetings and events
● Highly organized, outgoing, energetic, and flexible; ability to manage multiple/complex objectives
● Able to set priorities and take initiative
● Experience working with ranchers and farmers, working in a nonprofit environment and in recruiting and managing volunteers
● Proficient with GSuite, MailChimp, WordPress and other web based platforms.
Compensation and start date
● This position starts at $18 – $21 per hour, depending on experience.
● This is a 30hour a week position and is eligible for Quivira’s competitive benefits package, including health insurance and simple IRA.
● Preference given to applicants who can start by March 1, 2018.
To apply for this position, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A Letter of interest, stating when you would be able to work and that Quivira may contact references and your past employer
- Resume or CV
- Contact information for three references (professional references preferred)
Quivira will notify you once they have received a complete application. Applications will be
reviewed as they are received and until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be
accepted. Application can only be accepted from US citizens or those who hold a Green
card or work visa. Non-US citizens must supply a copy of their work visa.
The Quivira Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer. They support diversity and
equity, and encourage applications from all groups of people. They recognize that the
strength of the Quivira Coalition is in their people, and believe that every employee
has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful
discrimination and harassment. They do not and will not discriminate in employment and
personnel practices, and are committed to equal employment opportunity.