Maine Sail Freight is hiring!
Position: Sales Associate
Dear Mainers and Maine-lovers, Apply for this retail position to represent Maine Products and producers at the Boston Public Market during the busy holiday season.
Maine Sail Freight is a project of The Greenhorns, an 8 year old grassroots organization which works to promote, recruit and support the incoming generation of farmers through cultural programming and media production. Maine Sail Freight aims to illustrate and connect our regional foodshed using the logic of the landscape to orient the generation-long project of re-regionalizing our food supply. In partnership with Crown of Maine Organic Coop, we coordinated and delivered food, using the ocean as a trade-route.
Maine Sail Freight launched a pop up shop at the Boston Public Market in August, and now we are happy to partner with other organizations and business from Maine to extend the market presence into the Holiday season. Each of these organizations represent another segment of the growing sustainable agriculture economy in Maine, and we hope that our booth can be a pavillion that invites Bostonians and shopping tourists to explore all that Maine organic farming has to offer. Partners include: Maine Grain Alliance, Maine Organic Farmers and Gardners Association, Maine Department of Agriculture, Crown of Maine Organic Coop+ Fiddlers Green Farm, Experience Maritime Maine.
Would you like to be the voice of this project and help spread the word about our regional food economy, to learn about and promote the programs of the partner organizations.
Learn more about the project:
• 1-2 years of retail experience
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Flexible work schedule, including weekend and holiday availability.
• Strong and upbeat work ethic
• High level of enthusiasm and self-motivation
• Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
• Knowledge of sustainable agriculture, willing to learn about the programs and offerings of the partner organizations to be able to explain to the general public
• Ability to communicate effectively the goals of the Maine Sail Freight project and engage the public in a discourse about the future of our more regional farm economy
• Ability to lift and move product weighing up to 30 pounds
We have openings for both full-time and part-time help. Hours for the position will be determined by the hours of operation for the BPM and special events. Opening hours for the BPM are expected to be Wednesday-Sunday from 8am-8pm. Peak business periods may require extended work days and work weeks.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please forward a resume, 2 references and a short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “BPM Sales Associate Application.” Please make sure to outline your availability in your cover letter. Preference will be given to applicants available to start work immediately.
Pay: $15/hr on a contract basis.