urban farm education in Texas! Download the full agenda HERE
Are you interested in starting a small-acreage, sustainable farm? Already started farming, but interested in strengthening your cultivation methods, business plan, network of resources, or sales? Whether just beginning, or looking to expand your existing operation, this program is for you!
STRONG STARTS: Urban Farming 101 will be held this year in July and August, in Austin. This is a once-a-year program, so make sure to check out the full agenda ASAP and take advantage of our early bird special (can’t beat $44/day, including all on-farm trainings/field demos and lunch with locally-sourced ingredients!) Last year farmers traveled from 11 counties to participate, we had incredible feedback, and unfortunately had a waitlist that we couldn’t accommodate. As suggested by our farmers, we chose a larger venue this year, added a Sustainable Ecosystems Management day, and expanded the Organic Methods and Sales/Marketing sections – nearly doubling the content and the span of expertise.
Each week of the five week course (classes every Tuesday) examines an important aspect of successful for-profit farming, and offers a robust set of information, resources, and hands-on learning opportunities. Extension specialists from across the state join community experts and local growers to teach and advise Strong Starts participants. See the attached agenda for all the details.
· Week One: Business Planning & Management. + “Infrastructure and Income Streams” training at certified organic Tecolote Farm.
· Week Two: Sustainable Ecosystem Management. + Field demonstrations.
· Week Three: Cultivation and Methods in Central Texas. + On-farm training at Boggy Creek Farm.
· Week Four: Local Food System and Farmers’ Resources Showcase.
· Week Five: Sales and Marketing.
Dates are July 9, 16, 23, August 6, 13.
Early Bird Pricing (available through June 28) : $60 per day (1-3 days), $210 for 4 days, $225 for 5 days
Regular Pricing (June 29 and after): $65 per day ( 1 – 3 days), $220 for 4 days, $240 for all 5 days
To Register: 979-845-2604 or https://agriliferegister.tamu.edu, Search for “Strong Starts” or “Travis County”
What 2012 Strong Starts Participants have to Say:
- This seminar provided a wealth of information, and the expertise of the presenters is priceless.
- The series exceeded all expectations! From someone completely new to all this, I found it to be simple enough to grasp and detailed enough to inspire me to follow up on it on my own.
- I found this to be highly diverse, in depth. Clearly, the programming was created by individuals that recognize the needs of this group and the resources available. Program was sophisticated in the amount of material covered and depth of knowledge.
- Great networking! The farm tour was eye opening for me. The variety and density of the plantings made me realize that I have enough land and knowledge to launch a viable enterprise. The ag econ lecture has already changed my behavior. I had no short or long term plan. I now have a one, three, and five year outline of a plan, have filed my SBA and have gotten the Ag Use tax exemption.
- What a great wealth of useful info presented by authorities in the field.
- The concentration of info and available resources was great – I have not found anything close to this elsewhere having lived in Austin and attended many presentations over 20 years.