The mission of Fibershed is to change the way we clothe ourselves by supporting the creation of local textile cultures that enhance ecological balance, and utilize regional agriculture while strengthening local economies and communities.
Community Felting Project: The Fibershed Yurt Cover
- When: April 20-21, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Where: a private farm in Lagunitas, CA with group camping at Samuel P Taylor State Park
- Cost: $60 per person, includes felting instruction and camping
- Instructors: Katharine Jolda and Amber Bieg for large-scale wet felting; Heidi Harris for needle felting
- Registration: To reserve your place, email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be sent a Paypal payment request. Limited to 14 participants.
Join us for a 2-day community felting event and workshop at a beautiful farm in Lagunitas! Fibershed is making a felted cover for our signature yurt (which will be constructed at our Yurt Building Workshop taking place June 29-30 in Petaluma).
For further details: visit the event page on our calendar.
BUY A POUND OF WOOL FOR THE FIBERSHED YURT:
If you are unable to attend the felting event, but would like to contribute to this community effort, you can help us by donating $15 for a pound of local wool for the yurt. Visit our donation page to join in!
Learn to build a beautiful camping yurt
- Dates: June 29-30, 2013
- Time: 9:00 am to 4:00/5:00 pm each day
- Location:Canvas Ranch, 755 Tomales Road, Petaluma CA 94952
- Cost: $160 per person
- Instructor: Richard Waters, CampingYurts.com
Registration: To reserve your place, email email@example.com and you will be sent a Paypal payment request. Limited to 12 students. Join Fibershed at this 2-day workshop, where you will not only learn some new practical skills, but also have fun in the process! The workshop is hands-on and you will be taken through every stage of making a camping yurt. You will go home with enough knowledge and a free set of instructions to be able to make your own yurt. The yurt that we are building together will be Fibershed’s signature yurt, to be covered with a felted cover, and used as a classroom or display area at future Fibershed events.
Three Felted Vest-making Workshops with Katharine Jolda
- Choose from these dates: July 13-14, August 10-11, or September 7-8
- Time: 10 am to 5 pm each day
- Location:Bodega Pastures, Bodega CA
- Cost: $250 per person
- Registration: To reserve your place, email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be sent a Paypal payment request. Each workshop limited to 6 students.
- Work-trade: We have two work-trade tuitions of $200 available in exchange for meal preparation. Please contact Katharine email@example.com for information.
In this two-day workshop, you will make for yourself a customized and stylish felt vest from Bodega Pastures’ finest sheep’s wool.
Day 1: Size and design the patterns, card the wool on the Cyclocarder, meet and greet the sheep! Continuing the ancient tradition of singing while working, singers will lead rhythmic work songs from Europe and America.
Day 2: Felting and decorating the vests. Plus, a small natural dye project for embellishment.
Camping is accommodated on site, and a full dinner and breakfast will be provided. The setting is rustic, but wheelchair accessible.