Worldbike.org Seeking Executive Director
Dear friends and colleagues,
As many of you know, I am on the board of Worldbike, a small non-profit that is committed to improving livelihoods of the rural poor through bicycles. The organization has a big mission, an exciting vision, and tons of opportunity to make a difference in the world.
Worldbike has been board-run for the last few months and is now looking to hire a new executive director. We are looking for someone who has proven entrepreneurial tenacity, a background in international development, is not afraid of fundraising, is psyched about spending a lot of time in Africa, and has a passion for bicycles. It is an amazing opportunity for the right person.
If you can send this around to anyone you may think is interested, I would really appreciate it. Applications due August 5th.
Executive Director Job Announcement ‐‐ San Francisco, CA
Worldbike ( http://www.worldbike.org )
In the developing world, a bike can transform lives. Worldbike’s mission is to improve the livelihoods of the rural poor with bicycles.
Based in San Francisco, Worldbike is a small but growing group of passionate board members, volunteers and paid staff focused around our mission.
Over the past 10 years, Worldbike has designed and distributed low‐cost bicycles for programs that increase economic opportunity, improve health outcomes, expand access to education, and promote gender equality across the world. . Today, the organization is completing a project‐partnership with UN Habitat to deploy bicycles to haul solid‐waste in Kibera, Kenya the second largest slum in Africa. Our bikes withstand large loads,
rough terrain and inclement weather and are configured to be not only affordable, but also maintained and repaired locally. Through partnership with international and local agencies, private companies, foundations and NGOs, Worldbike can help arrange microcredit financing for bike purchases and supplement sales with support from funders and private donors.
Founded by visionary bicycle industry innovator and entrepreneur Ross Evans, Worldbike’s designs have influenced industry giants, are on display at the Bicycle Museum of America as well as The Smithsonian’s “Design for the Other 90%” travelling exhibition.
This is an exciting and ideal time for a new Executive Director (ED) to join Worldbike as we begin to build on our past successes proving that bikes changes lives. With a major manufacturing partner in hand, compelling bicycle designs in progress, an established distribution network for cargo bikes worldwide, a growing list of potential large scale customers, and great relationships within the bicycle industry, Worldbike is poised to leap forward as a major player within the bicycle development environment. This is an incredible career opportunity for an entrepreneurially minded project manager with a passion for bikes and a track record of success in measuring outcomes and making a difference in developing world settings.
ABOUT THE POSITION – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (ED)
Worldbike is seeking an Executive Director to oversee fund development, product development and distribution, marketing and promotion, establishment and measurement of outcomes in multiple pilot projects, as well as strategic planning, communications and administration of the organization.
Currently, Worldbike is run by one part‐time, interim ED and 7 active and engaged board members. We are a small organization and our immediate staffing plan reflects that. This position requires a candidate with a multitude of skills willing to excel in all areas with tremendous support by the Board of Directors, volunteers,and contract staff.
The Executive Director (ED) will report directly to the Board of Directors. The ED will report on all aspects of the organization including finances, pilot projects, product development, board development, fund development and donor relations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Strategic and programmatic leadership (including opportunity identification and evaluation)
• Business model / revenue model development and execution
• Financial management (including financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and reporting)
• Organizational leadership and project management
• Oversight of all product development endeavors and programs including but not limited to pilot projects
in the field
• Board management and development
• Marketing and communications (ability to develop and execute a strategic marketing plan)
• Oversee external communications and marketing, including speaking engagements, regular
updating/expansion of our web property
• Represent the organization in the field. Speak and write as a public, passionate and vocal proponent of
Worldbike’s work and impact
• A passion for bicycles – you’ll need to ride them
• Experience with fundraising as well as a creative, open‐minded approach to revenue generation
• Proven comfort in entrepreneurial environments and proven ability to be resourceful, flexible, and
• Experience working in the developing world, including a documented track record of success measuring
and improving outcomes of development work
• Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, build organizational systems and see projects through to their
• Experience leading, building, and working effectively with a diverse board of directors
• Demonstrated ability in planning, developing and managing a budget of at least $500K
• Strong diplomatic and communication skills
• Familiarity and facility with traditional marketing strategies as well as newer, web‐driven marketing
techniques is preferred
• Experience with product development, manufacturing and/or marketing is preferred
• Ability to travel internationally
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience. We are a small organization with a small but growing budget.
Applicants must be comfortable assuming the risk to fundraise to support their salary. The Board will actively support this effort.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter describing their qualifications and interest in the position to
email@example.com. Please put the word ‘director’ in subject line. Applications must be received by July 25,
2010 (applications received after the deadline may be considered if Worldbike decides to expand the pool of
applicants). Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
PLEASE ONLY CONTACT WORLDBIKE THROUGH THE ABOVE EMAIL REGARDING THIS POSITION.
For more information about Worldbike please visit our website at http://www.worldbike.org .