Thanks to the folks at Orion Grassroots Network for passing on this one. A super opportunity for a greenhorn interested in piggies.
POSITION AVAILABLE: FARM MANAGER
Flying Pigs Farm, L.L.C. Shushan, New York 12873 (Washington County)
Michael Yezzi and Jennifer Small raise rare, heritage breeds of pigs at Flying Pigs Farm in Washington County, 200 miles north of the City near the New York-Vermont state line.They finished over 600 pigs in 2009. The pigs are raised outdoors on pasture and in the woods. They also raise 1,500 laying hens and 3,000 meat chickens on pasture. The high quality of Flying Pigs Farm pork has been recognized in Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, the New York Times, GQ, House & Garden, Business Week, and other publications. Flying Pigs Farm pork, eggs, and chickens products are sold at Union Square and Grand Army Plaza Greenmarkets in New York City, through the web, and to top New York City restaurants such as Jean-Georges, Marlow & Sons, Savoy, Telepan, Gramercy Tavern, Il Buco, Mas, and others.
About the Position:
The Farm Manager is responsible for all aspects of the farm’s livestock production and supervises and works with two other staff members to accomplish goals. The Manager and his or her staff work outdoors in all weather, including weekends, holidays and some nights as needed. The Farm Manager works 5 ½ days a week. The Farm Manager reports to Flying Pigs Farm owner Michael Yezzi. The position requires the ability to prioritize, schedule, assign and accomplish duties and manage two staff.
• Ensure welfare of the animals by providing clean and adequate feed and water at all times, secure fencing and, appropriate shelter on a daily basis.
• Move animals regularly through fields, set up and break down fencing, mowing, appropriate cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
• Order equipment, feed and supplies, update supply inventory.
• Perform and record veterinary tasks as needed: vaccinations, castrations, worming, appropriate cleaning and storage of medical tools and supplies.
• Create and manage a comprehensive breeding program for the pigs.
• For seasonal meat chickens, schedule chick deliveries, build brooders, set up and clean up of fencing, daily litter changing, monthly barn cleanout, order, maintain, and repair equipment supply. Schedule weekly delivery and pick-up of slaughtered chickens at NYS-Inspected facility. Box chickens for slaughter and transport.
• Coordinate pig slaughter schedule, booking slots, load and deliver pigs to slaughterhouse. Transport piglets to farm from a variety of Northeast breeders. Observe animal behavior, breeding and health and recording and communicating any significant issues.
• For laying hens, maintain egg production, move layers regularly.
• Maintain and develop yearly animal procurement schedule. Order animals, plan housing, transportation, equipment, controlling supply and costs.
• Place weekly feed order and maintenance/reduction of food cost. Meeting feed truck to ensure accurate delivery and placement.
• Assign, monitor, and measure duties to accomplish the above responsibilities.
• Oversee labor costs, check-in/check-out procedures, and scheduling.
• Recruit staff as needed and retain staff.
• Ongoing care of farm buildings and vehicles, cleaning, organizing, maintenance, and record keeping.
• Assisting other staff when to prepare and pack for weekly farmers’ markets and restaurant deliveries
• On occasion, staff the farmers’ markets in New York City in coordination with other staff.
• Woodlot management, wood splitting, brush removal as needed.
• Regular communication with the owner via department reports, regular meetings, written and verbal communication to allow for informed direction from the Owners.
• Leading regular meetings.
• Attending regular staff meetings.
• Other duties as assigned by the Owners
• Commitment to animal welfare.
• Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree in Animal Science or equivalent experience.
• Three years experience with livestock.
• Two years or more of demonstrated management experience.
• One year experience operating tractors.
• Experience with basic farm equipment such as chain saws, brush mowers, fencers.
• Demonstrated interest in sustainable agriculture.
• Safe driving record and experience driving with gooseneck and bumper-hitch trailers.
• Self-directed, independent worker who anticipates animal and farm needs.
• Flexibility and adaptability in a rapidly growing/changing workplace.
• Farm and small engine maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
• Carpentry, plumbing and electrical aptitudes .
• An interest in leading tours and representing the farm before others.
This is a salaried position. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent health insurance offered. Cell phone provided. Assistance locating nearby housing. Two weeks paid vacation and two weeks paid maternity/paternity leave after one year. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Michael Yezzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the farm can be found at: www.flyingpigsfarm.com or Google. Additional info at www.oprah.com or www.nymag.com or www.nytimes.com
This is an opportunity for a self-directed individual with an excellent work ethic and a commitment to animal welfare to work for a well-regarded farm.